Our goal is to promote a tax code that is fair, progressive, serves the common good, and is fully enforced.
Since 2003, Tax Fairness Oregon has helped save the state budget hundreds of millions of dollars by working towards an equitable tax system.
In some cases that means killing tax breaks like the BETC, or winning changes to enterprise zones such as the Rural SIP. In other cases its means supporting bills that rein in wage theft (which also always means tax theft) or advance tax enforcement.
From helping to retain the Oregon Estate Tax to helping to pass Measures 66 and 67, Tax Fairness Oregon has been a critical force in state government.
You can review goals that we have deemed to be important from the drop-down menu under the "Issues" tab.
What We Do
Tax Fairness Oregon works to reform our tax code so that it serves the common good, not special interests.
We help shape the debate about tax policy in Oregon:
- We work to reform Oregon’s tax code by monitoring and evaluating tax concepts.
- We identify, research, and analyze critical bills.
- We testify at legislative hearings and meet with legislators.
- We bring public attention to tax issues through Facebook and eblasts, speakers, media outreach, workshops, and public relations.
- We build coalitions with partner organizations.
We engage in legislative action, grassroots organizing, education, and coalition building to promote a revenue system that is more progressive, sustainable, and adequate.
You can review our past successes from the drop-down menu under the "Successes" tab.
What We Said
Legislative Session 2016
- Amendment Recommendations to SB 1507 A
- HB 4008 Lottery duties expanded
- HB 4025 Federal Connection
- HB 4027 Plan to sunset and review additional tax expenditures
- HB 4035 Corporate Transparency
- HB 4043 A Capital Gain Tax Break for Low-Income Housing
- HB 4063 Kicker Distribution per capita
- HB 4065 Ensuring the State's Business Partners Pay Taxes
- HB 4072 University Venture Development Fund
- HB 4072 University Venture Development Fund 2
- HB 4081 Extends another sunset on property taxes without review
- HB 4081 Removes the sunset on property taxes for non-profit owned affordable housing
- HB 4084 Brownfield Clean Up Amendments Needed